Loughmacrory Under 16s remain in League & championship chase

Loughmacrory Under 16 boys football team remain in the hunt for Grade 2 league and championship honours in 2016 following a tenacious 2-13 to 3-7 victory over Moy Tír na nOgs in the league quarter final on Wednesday evening.

The opening half saw Moy lead by 1-2 to 0-3 before the St. Teresa’s took a grip on the game in the build-up to half-time, hitting six points without reply. Ronan Curran (3), Diarmaid Grimes (0-2), Pearse Dobbs (0-2), Shane Grimes (0-1) and Antoin Fox (0-1) were on target in that opening half to see them go in at the break with a 0-9 to 1-3 lead.

The second half continued to go well for Loughmacrory albeit the wind aided some long range scores from Moy and they soon took advantage to open up a one point lead with four points in succession. A second goal then followed from the visitors as they lead by 2-7 to 0-9 going into the final ten minutes of play but Loughmacrory really stepped up to the mark at that point.

Driving runs from Shane Grimes and Antoin Fox saw the ball eventually blocked on the Moy goal line and Gareth Donaghy was at hand to volley home Loughmacrory’s first goal. Points followed from Ronan Curran and Diarmaid Gallagher and when the latter was pulled down in the Moy square, he then stepped up to cooly convert the penalty kick to the corner of the Moy net.

WEB 009 U16FL QF Lmacrory v Moy 2016

Loughmacrory U16 team which defeated Moy in the FL quarter final

Loughmacrory now lead by 2-11 to 2-7 and maintained their advantage with further points from Dobbs and Curran to make it 2-13 to 2-7 as the action swung into injury time. There was some controversy when Moy grabbed a goal three minutes into iunjury time and despite a continued rally from the Tie na nOgs in search of an equaliser, the excellent defensive play from Loughmacory saw them hold out for a 2-13 to 3-7 victory.

Last week the team met Owen Roes in round one of the championship in Glenmornan, but after showing excellent form to go in at the half-time break with a 1-6 to 1-2 lead, the tie was abandoned due to adverse weather conditions. The refixture of that game has yet to be made.

You may also like...